Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Unlimited Newness...

So, I'm new to the community, if such it can be called, in fact, I'm new to blogging in general. It seems like today, I'm new to a lot of things. I got unlimited texting, and have since realized, why I didn't have it before. My fingers hurt, my numbers are already showing wear and tear, and, oh yeah, everyone I know is spamming me now. I never get four hundred phone calls in one night, people still hate talking. Something about non verbal communication is just too easy.

But it's also too impersonal. You lose something in the translation, and while, it could probably be said that I'm missing things due to my relative newness to the conversation type, I've been in internet chat rooms and on AIM for years, and it seems the same. You can't just be sarcastic, or funny, you have to explain it. I've had more 1 word texts than actual lines of conversation.
'What?' 'Huh?' This is why I avoided texting for so long. But don't tell todays average girl you don't have texting. You might not get the date off that alone. God forbid if you're ugly and lacking charm.

So what is it about texting that makes people go nuts over it? Why am I having trouble writing this blog because some girl is determined to get to over 200 texts sent from her alone, tonight? Why did the 'Gym Class Heros' write a song about it? Is it the ease, or is it the sense of anonymity? The ability to spell check and filter everything you say before hitting send. It's too planned, everything is forced and planned and that seems contrary to what the act of conversation is about in the first place.

On the other hand, I like that this girl is trying to set a record tonight. Because maybe, she'll still be talking to me tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment